Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Plugging along

Well, we still don't have the rear end and the brakes. They keep telling me soon, it's like the one where the person says the checks in the mail : ) Supposedly they will ship next week, I certainly hope that's the case.

In the meantime we have been fitting aluminum panels, installed the steering column, put the horns on, installed the motor and transmission mounts onto the frame. We've also played with the gas tank. The tank that came with the kit would work and is ok, however a company, Boyd's, have made a much better tank and I decided I would use it instead of the standard tank.

Taylor, my grandson, came over one day and he and I spent over 5 hours drillimg the attachment holes for the cabin sheet metal. He did a really good job without much need for guidance from me. I also let him rivet in a couple panels.

The firewall, when it arrived, wasn't quite what I'd hoped it would be so I took it down to a local body shop, Snider's, who does great work and they did their magic with it and it turned out super. I had it painted glossy black, which is what the car color will be. It will show great with the hood up.

When the rear end and brakes do arrive we will be able to make some large progress or at least I hope we can.

                                                   Rear trunk area sheet metal
 
Standard gas tank. New one below.

 
Gauges I will be using.

 
Horns installed at the bottom. Two round things.

 
 
              Motor mounts partially installed. Left down until motor ready to install.


                                              Transmission attachment mount.
 
Steering shaft bearing partially intalled. Waiting for rest until motor is in.    



                   Steering column. It's chrome so we covered it so it doesn't get scratched

                     New gas tank from Boyd. If nothing else it sure looks a lot better : )
                           You can see where we've drilled the cabin sheet metal here.
 
Taylor helping me out with drilling sheet metal.


                                                   Here he's riveting that piece on.
 
Finished product on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment