Thursday, June 12, 2014

Working towards engine start, I hope.

We've been making some good progress lately and I decided I would make up a sub to-do list for the items we need to do in order for us to be able to start the engine. From that list we've been able to complete some fairly major ones.

I got a call that they're finally shipping me the brake discs I've been missing, hooray for that one.

Also on my drive shaft problem, I've sent in the rear housing of the transmission and they will send me out a new one. I think the bushing in the one I had is not correct.

Here is a list of the items we completed since my last post.

  • Installed radiator hoses. It took some grunting and groaning and trips to O'Reilly's, but we finally got the upper and lower hoses installed.
  • Installed coil. We tried to figure out a good location for installing the coil and Steve came up with the idea to make a mounting bracket to allow us to install it at the rear of the engine. Looks good.
  • Installed  temporary gauges. We will use temporary gauges for the first engine start and go cart. Go cart is where you drive the car without any body on it so it looks like a go cart. The final gauges are at the painter's and he's making a bezel for them to install in the dash.
  • Ran battery cable and starter cable. Had to get ends for the cables and crimp them on. My neighbor Jim down the street has a good crimping tool and he did the honors on these two cables.
  • Completed some wiring needed for starting. Steve is the wiring man and he's been hooking up some of the wiring harness and other wires we need.
  • Installed plumbing for oil pressure sensor hookup. Boy, it took multiple tries at the parts store to get this one accomplished. Had to install a 90 deg fitting and couldn't get the right combination because of the 90 hitting the engine block when I tried to install it. But finally got the right combo.
  • We're going to tackle installing the radiator overflow tank tomorrow and finish up more of the wiring.

Here are the radiator hoses we installed


                  Here's where we installed the coil. In the back out of the way.


               Here's our crude gauge setup, but what the heck it will serve it's purpose. 

           Here's the problem I was having installing the  oil pressure sensor unit.
          You can see where the 90 was hitting the block so I couldn't thread it on.

         Here's where I finally got the oil sensor unit installed. I used a longer
         connector and took off the oil filter to get it on.
       We needed a wiring  grounding bus and I ended up finding one at a Boat Shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment