Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Installed steering arm today.


Today we were able to install the front steering arm, but not without a few small challenges. One of the issues we ran into was that we need a few tools we didn't have but fortunately I have a neighbor, Jim Ellis, who I think was Tim Allen's, Tool Guy, mentor, just joking, but he has a bunch of tools : ) So he was able to loan me what we needed. Many of our issue had to do with the torquing on various nuts.

When we were doing the final assembly we found that one of the nuts on the spindle wouldn't tighten down correctly. After much head scratching and cussing of course, we found that we had put one of the arms on upside down. So we had to disassemble what we had done and about one hour later we were back on track. I guess that's part of the fun, solving problems, or at least that's what we tell ourselves.

Then a second problem arose. We decided to try and mount the two front wheels just out of curiosity and found that one of the wheel wouldn't tighten down completely. We still haven't figured that one out, but I've got a call into the folks where I bought them from and they tell me that's not possible, but I had to tell them maybe not, but that's what's happening. So tomorrow we will try and sort that problem out.

Here are some picture of the spindle that gave us the small problem and also the finished product.






No comments:

Post a Comment